Moreland Middle School,
Moreland School District
Expert Ratings (0 votes)
User Ratings (0 votes)
You must login to rate this lesson plan.
CALIFORNIA STATE STANDARDS ADDRESSED
History-Social Science/8/United States History and Geography: Growth and Conflict 8.4 Examine the importance of the great rivers and the struggle over water rights. 8.5 Discuss Mexican settlements and their locations, cultural traditions, attitudes toward slavery, land-grant system, and economies. 8.6 Describe the Texas War for Independence and the Mexican-American War, including territorial settlements, the aftermath of the wars, and the effects the wars had on the lives of Americans, including Mexican Americans today.
Students will describe nine important Mexicano contributions to the culture and economy
of the Southwest., the the students will explain how Anglo settlers in the Southwest used and adapted these
Mexicano contributions, and finally the students will evaluate the degree to which these Mexicano contributions affect their
• describe nine important Mexicano contributions to the culture and economy of the Southwest.
• explain how Anglo settlers in the Southwest used and adapted these Mexicano contributions.
• evaluate the degree to which these Mexicano contributions affect their lives today.
Using the document camera, students will lead the review of the answers and discuss their symbols that they created based on their understandings. Students will come up in front of the class in pairs and review the information using their notes. The rest of the students will correct or complete their notes based on the information being presented.
History Alive! The United States through Industrialism
Lesson Plan Procedure:
• Go to one of the stations with your partner, examine the image on the placard, and discuss the questions at the bottom of the placard.
• Return to your desks, and locate the section in Chapter 17 of your textbook that corresponds to the placard you analyzed.
• Write the section title and corresponding placard letter in the appropriate boxes on Reading Notes 17.
• Read the section and complete the Reading Notes for that topic.
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set):
Students will take the information from the class debrief and create a map of the Southwest that discusses the many acheivements of the Mexicanos during the time period being studied.
The directions are as follows:
Mexicano Contributions to the Southwest
1. Label the states.
2. Place your symbol for each contribution in the state(s) where it was used.
3. Write one sentence identifying the contribution and its importance.
4. Place the title – Mexicano Contributions to the Southwest – somewhere on the map.
5. Create a symbol key.
6. All writing is to be done in ink.
7. All symbols are to be colored.
8. Spelling/grammar counts.
9. Creativity is encouraged!
Assessments & notes
Adapted from Chapter 17 - Mexicano Contributions in the Southwest