Mt. Pleasant School,
Mount Pleasant School District
Expert Ratings (0 votes)
User Ratings (0 votes)
You must login to rate this lesson plan.
Students will use the scientific method to develop a derby race car made from a 4" piece 1" by 2".
Intially, students will be asked to decribe their ideas behind making their car fast and strong.
Help students develop writing skills which support thier educated guess behind making their car fast and
a possible derby winner. Students will work with the support of parents to make a home made derby
car using items from around the house. No store bought items can be used such as wheels or toy car parts.
They will be asked to guess what materials will make a successful winner.
Students will learn the scientific process:
1. Students will state the problem: Make a derby race car which will compete against other classmates.
2.Hypothesis, student are asked to what design elements will make their car speedy.
3.Materials, a small piece of 4" one inch by two inch wood.
4.Procedure: A six foot table will be used to have two students race against one another. The table will be
propped up, and two students will be flanking the top of the table, startline using a 36" inch ruler to hold two
derby cars before start of race.
5. Students will be competing against one another and be placed in a tournment brackets where, students can
see that after each heat, the participants will be cut in half. Students will see which derby cars and the materials
used which worked best. The results will be placed on a poster board with all the winners, and they will see the
progression of heats.
6. I would like to have students write down their thoughts about what worked and their observations about this experience. Did their intial guesses turn to be true or false about what would make their cars run fast, and possible
Teachers will need to buy two one by two, by 6' foot pine lumber pieces.
A pixel cammera will be needed to document and provide a photo finish for clarifying winners.
A eight foot table, 36" ruler, and blue tape for the finish line.
Anticipatory Set (Lead-in):
Students will learn about the scienctific process and the ideas and materials to be used to develop
their derby cars. The be asked to submit a list of materials to be used to make their derby cars move.
Lesson Plan Procedure:
1. The students will develop a paragraph on what they think will happen and
the list materials to be used.
2. Students be given a small piece of 4" piece of Pine. They will go home and
start building their derby car.
3. Students will process their results and write about why the experient was successful or not.